Wednesday, 16 April 2014

The Reveal ....

Wow! Where has the last month disappeared to?! Today is the Big Day for the reveal of the Spring Fever Design Challenge - I didn't leave it to the last minute (honest!)

So here's a reminder of my beads


I wasn't quite sure to start with what I was going to do, I did want the flower pendant to be the centre piece of a necklace so wanted to keep it simple to show it off, other than that it was a bit of a blank canvas so to speak of what I would do with the beads!

Here's the first piece I made


Quite a girly bracelet for me, I teamed Caroline's bird bead with the 2 pink rounds from Lesley and added some gorgeous pink faceted Czech glass rounds with hematite spacers, finished off with a black Vintaj hook and a couple of flower dangles and the leaf.


When I had first seen the sari silk I had the idea of a wrapped bangle, but then as I played around with the flower focal I decided upon a wrapped bar for the focal to hang from.

Here's my second piece, I think I'm pleased with it, I wanted a bit more of a chunkier chain but I didn't have any in my stash. What do you think?



I wrapped a length of patina'd thick copper with the sari silk and wire wrapped the ends to make it more secure, from the same thick copper I made a hook clasp. I had a set of lampwork beads in a similar blue with pink/purple frit and wanted to work them into the design but when I linked them into the chain it looked too busy, so I kept just one to hang the flower focal from. To balance the hook I wrapped the purple bird with the blue donut bead and added them to the opposite side, finished off with the copper trace chain.

 
Thanks for joining me and taking a look at my pieces, I enjoyed taking part and would like to thank both Lesley and Caroline for organising it and making the beads and also to Claire from Smitten Beads for supllier the gorgeous sari silk. I hopefully will take part in a few more challenges in the future now I've done my first one and it wasn't too painful!
 
Please do take a moment to have a look at my fellow challenge designers blogs and the designs they came up with their beads!  

 

 

22 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous colour combo lovely pieces x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ailsa I love these designs - both very pretty and fresh with a sweet simplicity which I love for jewellery for the warmer seasons. If you want a heavier feel to the chain would it work with a double length of the lighter chain...? I've done that before...Thank you so much for taking part. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Pop over to my blog and see what I made for the challenge :)
    http://christinesjewellerybox.blogspot.co.uk
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again both lovely pieces but the necklace is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces. I love the necklace - great minds with the ribbon wrapped bar, hey? I prefer yours to mine tho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I love the delicate colours of your bracelet, very pretty!

    Thank you for joining us in the challenge! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely designs. I love the wrapped bar on the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning - love the combination of the bird with the purple facets. Great use of the sari strip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I love the simplicity of both pieces (even though I know it is not simple) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, the colors you received are quite dreamy! I love the idea of the sari silk 'branch' that you made. Hmmm... what about some more of those pretty glass rounds from the bracelet to the back of that necklace. The visual weight would be offset by the airiness of the transparent color. I adore that sweet little bracelet. That would make a great Easter bauble for sure! Thank you for sharing your spring fever! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the beads and ribbon that you got. The bracelet is absolutely gorgeous! Using the sari ribbon to wrap what looks like a branch was smart. I wish I had thought of it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these and the use of the ribbon is fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pieces, I especially love the bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them both but that necklace in particular sings. That wrapped bar is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty color scheme - love the wrapped silk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both of your pieces. The colours are great and your designs just perfect for the components you were sent. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure if my comment went through -- gorgeous designs! Brilliant sari ribbon bar, and I agree the coordinating lampwork looks just right accenting the ceramic beauty. Nice balance. The soft purple Czech looks great with the black hematite -- beautiful! Lovely design details with the pretty Czech flowers, Lesley's round beads, and the sweet bird. Heartfelt and artful jewelry. X Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect Ailsa, the chain is good as it doesn't subtract from the branch and focal I think...all very dreamy and how I think of you lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ailsa your designs are beautiful. You sure did let Lesley's flower shine. The accents you used are perfect.Your bracelet really says spring. Great designs.

    ReplyDelete